Tuesday 26 June 2018

Hot Like Fire

Another evening at the Milford Arms, I’d missed last week after a very emotional evening the week before. Neil and I both like Stan Salzman (the saxophonist who was on last week), we even saw him out one day. But as much as I do like Stan we both love Derek Nash and planned to go see his funk band. So I skipped last week to be ready for last night.
The night had a few substitutions; Val Mannix who I always like to support has been ill and I’m hoping for a speedy recovery, Andrew Clyndert was in his place. John Etheridge (who I’m not a huge fan of, but he does do a mean version of Coming Home Baby) was called away at the last minute so in his place was Neil’s arch nemesis Jim Mullin.
The funny thing about Neil’s relationship with Jim Mullin is that he admired him as a guitarist. He used to say that he is very talented, but he plays as if he got bored so he now sneaks in “Quotes” which drove Neil crazy. And the highlight of any evening with Neil at a Jim Mullin gig was counting the quotes. Unfortunately the main players in the game of “Count the Quotes”, Neil and Sue weren’t there last night so I was a bit lost.
Last night he was rather reserved. After at least two quotes including a “Can-Can” in the first song Derek Nash gave Mullin a “Yellow Card”, the result being that as far as Martin and myself could tell he didn’t “quote” anymore until the last piece. But more on that later.
Derek Nash was fantastic as always, full of energy and usual with his inventory of Saxes of many sizes; from the mighty baritone to the tiny curved soprano. Derek Nash is not just a saxophonist, he also brings along a collection of percussion instruments. Unfortunately the very popular orange didn’t make an appearance last night. But he was still in good form; he stopped my heart with the baritone sax and tickled my soul with the soprano.
I told Martin when we were leaving I was never overly impressed with Andrew Clyndert before, but last night he stood out as well. It was as if the heat brought out the best in all of the musicians. I have to say now I think Andrew Clyndert may be my #2 favorite bass player behind the amazing Dave Green.
And I think I’m changing, or maybe it’s the new positioning of the Milford Arms. At the Red Lion the band were on a tiny stage and seemed untouchable. But at the Milford arms they are almost in our laps, especially since Martin and I like to sit on the bench on the side. The Pianist sets up right next to us. When Ted Beaumont arrived he asked where he sets up and I told him right here next to me. It gives you a new respect for the keys, you can see their fingers working overtime. I noticed it the other week with John Horler but last night Ted Beaumont was amazing especially on the blues piece.
Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far and by night time the temperature hadn’t dropped by much. It was still stifling in the Milford Arms with even Trevor Tomkins saying “You think it’s hot out there, you should be back here!” I guess that’s why he was on fire. Trevor is always great but last night he played as if the drums were on fire and he was putting the fire out with the sticks. I had to go shake his hand when the night was over to tell him how amazing he was. He was full of energy. Every solo blew your mind; it wasn’t just his turn, he stole the show with every solo.
The quintet tried to cool us off with a piece by Martin’s hero Clifford Brown call Joy Spring, unfortunately it didn’t work for me. But then they played a Blues piece called “Sweet’s Blues” which featured the baritone sax and “the top of Ted’s range” as Derek Nash said. Sweet’s Blues broke me out in a sweat – I still don’t like the Blues Tony! But bluesy jazz is alright.
But the piece de resistance was All the Things You are which seemed to span several centuries in one piece. Clyndert played the bass with a bow and together with Beaumont’s piano style gave the piece a Baroque feel. Nash and Tomkins would bring it back to the 20th century. Overall the piece was incredible but it was a bit spoiled by Mullin sneaking in Stevie Wonder’s Isn’t She Lovely.
Neil’s write ups of Derek Nash:

3 comments: