Sunday 22 June 2014

A Midsummer's night's dream.


Midsummer’s day night and I could have gone to see The Reggulaters playing authentic Trojan Ska in Watford. The fabulous Highs were playing Mod classics at The Sun. Groove Manoova were funkin' in Kingston and No Lip (No1 Punk Band) were on in Guildford.

 

I spent Midsummer’s Day night sitting on the top of Box Hill with Robyn, drinking 1664 and watching the longest day of the year end as night came down ever so slowly over the Surrey Hills.

As the lights of Gatwick Airport came on and turned the clouds orange, a firework display started on the far horizon just for us.
Huge mortars and rockets, reduced to the size of your fingernail.

A magical night of dreams; midsummer’s day’s night.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

Since I wrote this I learnt that it was the 80th anniversary of The Opera House at Glyndbourne in East Sussex. That's nearly 50 miles away from Box Hill which fits in with how small they looked.

So I guess I owe Lord Snooty a thank you for laying on those fireworks for us. 

2 comments: