Wednesday 13 December 2017

Chilli time.

I didn't see much of Robyn today - she was cooking a veggie Chilli Con Carne for the homeless shelter we used to help out at.

The West London Boroughs pay for winter accommodation for homeless people and it's provided by churches and other groups taking turns. We used to help at Robyn's church and, even though I'm not religious, I was happy to do so. A lot of my working life involved homeless people in West London and it was always nice to help set out the beds and stuff, pass out the food and share a meal. We had a chat and played dominoes to bring a little humanity into all our lives. I miss it.

We would meet up with people from the previous year and find out that they had got their lives into shape, got jobs and their own homes. On the other hand we'd also find out about those who had died or moved on in some other way. It's hard spending winter on the streets and fighting addictions or personal problems.

Well, even last year I was really just luggage. Not being much help. This year I couldn't even get there, so Robyn cooked her chilli. She started tearing her hair out as it got near mealtime and the rice wasn't cooking great but it all worked out in the end and I had a portion before she left.

I miss it.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilaithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment