Wednesday 20 December 2017

Misery Miserilou.

I had a truly terrible morning in Tesco's today - when we got there all the disabled buggies were being used and I ended up standing at the front entrance waiting for one to be returned. I was there for at least half an hour and was unable to walk at the end of it. I actually asked security if they had a chair I could use, which is not like me at all.

There wasn't.

By the time a buggie was returned I was washed out. Whatever we didn't get, we didn't get......Christmas will happen anyway.

By contrast I was very moved yesterday. Robyn's Uncle and Mike sent us a luxury Christmas Hamper of things we would never have imagined to get ourselves. This year has been really tough - for me lots of pain and inactivity, for Robyn different pressures. Either way it's been such a struggle. I've never had so much kindness and was very moved by the gift, which will make a real difference to us.

My fourth Christmas gift will be very familiar but I had to include a track of surf music and this is one of the best. It's by Dick Dale and his Del-Tones.....'Misirilou'.

You've heard it already because it's on the soundtrack of Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction but it's here because it's just pure class.

There's an economy of playing together with bursts of really great musicianship......and a touch of menace, which I suppose is becoming a theme of my selection.

In fact it's a cover, it began life as a folk song from somewhere in the bandit country between Greece and Turkey and doesn't it sound like it did?

Here's the link;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M


Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilaithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment