Thursday 21 December 2017

Not feeling like superman today.

I had a truly depressing day at Charing Cross Hospital today - my current treatment is failing me, which isn't really a surprise given the pain I've been suffering. I'm due to start another, experimental chemotherapy at the beginning of the new year, which won't be a lot of fun. I'm not going to think much about that until nearer the time.


Unfortunately, at the hospital, I'd run out of one of my painkillers and we had a long wait for my appointment. I ended up embarrassing myself because it became too painful to get my feet onto the footrests of my wheelchair and that meant I had to be dragged around backwards with my feet sliding along the floor like some kind of dead weight.

While I was having my infusion one of my fellow patients went into anaphylactic shock from her treatment. It's happened to me twice although not as badly. I was so impressed as I watched the nurses appearing from nowhere; running and pushing carts, flicking hypodermic needles, getting the oxygen out. Shouting out requests for information, just managing. 

Watching a life being saved next to me.

On the way home the Christmas traffic was terrible, it was a grim old day - worse than standing in Tesco's for half an hour waiting for a disabled buggy to be returned.

So........it's not going to be much of a surprise that my fifth Christmas present to you may not be the most cheerful of numbers. I promise you it will get better, I have some treats to come in the next few days.

This is a track by Laurie Anderson a leading feminist, performing artist and critic of modern society. She is a product of Andy Warhol's Factory and was Lou Reed's partner. In 1981 she tried her hand at electronic music and produced this stark, prophetic and stunning critique of modern technology.

Give it a good chance, it's well worth eight minutes of your time. And as you'd expect, the video is visually stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkfpi2H8tOE

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment