Wednesday 13 November 2013

Nitrous oxide.


Monday night and I’ve dragged myself to The Red Lion, Isleworth. Apart from trying to see Ginge the Cat I’m there for the first of three fantastic weeks of jazz, three of the best line-ups of the year.

Tonight there was Ross ‘twelve gigs a week’ Stanley, on keyboards, Trevor Tomkins on Drums and Andrew Cleyndert on Bass. On the front line we had Stan Sulzman on Sax:

And Tim Hart on vibes;


The first number lasted 20 minutes the second 10. After half an hour of thoughtful reflective stuff, Tim Hart fired up his Vibraphone for the third. Hit the nitrous oxide!

We ranged through Charlie Parker and Thelonious Monk with a fast blues to finish at the end of the evening. I love Parker’s Amous Amouche which I know well but have never been able to spell.

Look at those hands blurring;

 
Next week apart from an impressive list of musicians, the great Art Themen is on Sax. He plays every three months and every time I catch him it’s a big deal for me – those nights count off some tough periods I’ve got through.

Next Monday is going to be just about the toughest so far for me, and by coincidence it’s Art Themen night again. So I’m particularly looking forward to getting myself to the club, whatever happens.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

No comments:

Post a Comment