Thursday 25 May 2017

Strange few days.

I've had a very strange week - lots of pain ever since I walked to the village on Saturday and unable to do much as a result.

Strangely, I discovered by accident that two people I knew as a kid died in the last few years. They weren't people I'd ever known well or stayed in touch with at all. But it was a very odd feeling; not least because I never imagined that anyone of my generation would be likely to die before me, even if only by a short while.

Even worse is the random nature of it all. One of the two was someone I really couldn't stand - one of those people who had it all. He was talented, self confident and self assured, all the things I was not.

He was also arrogant, ambitious and unscrupulous and, whatever my own faults were, these were not among them. I disliked him a lot and still do.

The second person was also very talented - he became a first class county cricketer. He didn't quite make it to play for the England team but at one time it seemed it would just be a matter of time.

He was the very opposite of the first person; modest, pleasant and kind. I remember he did me a small good turn for no reason and it stuck with me because we weren't really friends.

I knew about his career but what I didn't realise was that he was forced to retire at 29 years old, far too early, when he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

By 35 he was in a wheelchair, a terrible situation for a sportsman.

And yet he carved out a life setting up a business, having a family and by all accounts spreading laughs through the many bars he visited.

As I said, a wonderful person.

But there's no justice to it all. Neither of them should have died so young, both were very talented people. One was smug and unpleasant and probably never helped anyone but himself. The other was life affirming and kind - a real loss to everyone who knew him.

As I said, a really strange few days.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment