Monday 9 December 2013

Kaptain Krunch and the Killer heels, no really.


 KAPTAIN

   KRUNCH

               AND

          THE KILLER HEELS

What’s that all about?  

Sunday afternoon after I got back from visiting my Mum in hospital, I slid into a local pub – The Perseverance, Wraysbury at 4pm.

That’s where I went last Sunday – finishing a miserable week off winding down with Blues Associates.

This week was all stress too, so what did I have to lose by going to see Kaptain Krunch and the Killer Heels?

Well Kredibility for starters. And a Komplete loss of Kool.

  This is from www.lemonrock.co.uk

Acoustic soft rock covers with Kaptain Krunch (Pars Evrenos), one of the top guitarists in the South East, playing his fabulous guitar for harmonising sisters Avril Appleyard & Rosie Scott.

 The set is a melodic, easy listening mix of beautiful guitar and close harmonies, including soft rock covers by artists such as Extreme, Heart, Kansas, Queen, Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Bad Company, Guns 'n Roses, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, Skunk Anansie, and many more.

 If you like your rock stripped back raw, then this line up is for you!!

If you knew me you’d realise that most of that’s not going to rock my boat - but since I got ill I’ve tried to be a little less dogmatic and a bit more open minded.

OK, that part probably hasn’t come on too well yet.

The contrast with last night couldn’t be sharper, this is Pars Evrenos:
 
So I was in another land, with only a coke to keep me company.

And this is the band:

 
Despite appearances it was good fun. The Kaptain is a well-known local guitarist; he normally plays heavy metal thrash and looks the part, which isn’t my kind of thing at all.

And while he did play electric guitar part of the time, he was kept well in order by the two sisters on vocals. It was all basically pared down acoustic versions of rock standards. As far as I could see they were chosen purely on the grounds that they liked them.

Excellent harmonies with fine guitar work forcing me to listen to things I wouldn’t want to listen to normally . As I said – lots of fun.

Billed as a trio, there were a series of fourth guitarists who came and went.

‘Dave’ did a very fine acoustic accompaniment on ‘Ziggy Stardust’ when he eventually found his guitar, ‘Nick’ who did a couple of very fine Blues numbers on electric guitar and was introduced as Deep Purple’s former road manager. Oh, and there was another guitarist whose name I didn’t catch. They were all excellent. And no sign of any laptops and dubbed tracks. The only percussion was a real live tambourine.

I enjoyed the Rolling Stones numbers; ‘Angie’ and ‘Paint it Black’. There were songs by The Pretenders, The Mammas and Pappas, as well as stuff from all or most of the list above. They finished with a medley of Beatles songs from Sgt Pepper and that has got to be the worst Beatles Album of all time. I even enjoyed that too.

If I had to work out why I liked it I’d say that the ever changing line-up, the bizarre mixture of songs and the fine music and harmonies all played out in a tiny, old Pub added up to a good old fashioned Ceilidh. A good way to put a bad week to rest.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)
Home:      helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact:   neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment