Thursday 7 September 2017

The museum of nothing in particular, part 9.

I bought something beautiful!

I should say I stopped buying things a long time ago - clothes, shoes, what on earth was the point?

But on Saturday I bought a piece of art - why not?




Every so often I buy African carved heads in charity shops.

This one cost me £1-50p - big money.

Wood carving is a big cultural activity in Africa - especially in a belt that runs from South West Africa through Tanzania and Kenya.

These heads are cut into a rock hard brown wood, very similar to mahogany. Many of them are very formal and follow quite rigid patterns.

I couldn't resist this one for two reasons;

First, the carver left the rough branch uncarved at the top and the bottom to re[present hair and, I suppose, the origin of the wood spirit.

Secondly, and this is what sold it to me, is the sheer tactile beauty of it. Pick it up and feel the silky smooth carved surface, moulding itself into your fingers.

It just felt right.

And it's beautiful.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till  you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

1 comment: