Tuesday 20 October 2015

A nice mute at the Red Lion.

Still ill (of course) but we struggled out to our Jazz club at The Red Lion, Isleworth anyway.

These days I'm quite a sight; with a broken back I can't cope with three hours perched on an armchair, so I have to take a folding chair with me.

It was crowded and we ended pushed right up at the back, in the corner where the fruit machine used to be. I had a tough day, so by the time I got there I was worn out.

Good music though, this is Martin Shaw;



I do love a mute on a well played trumpet.

You can't see them but in the background was Trevor Tompkins on drums, Dave Green on bass and Kate Williams on keyboards.

We also had a new guest this week - Frank Griffith on Saxophone;


 
 
I've always enjoyed the way Martin Shaw plays 'Bye Bye Blackbird' on a mute but tonight the duet with Frank Griffith was something special; two very quiet and breathy soloists on a quiet night.
 
It's definitely not summer any more!
 
Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment