Friday 18 January 2013

Lance Armstrong's confession


I’m snowed in.

OK bit of an exaggeration there. There’s a little bit of snow now, a lot more on the way.

Yesterday I did the shopping, then went for a walk in the afternoon. All the while only carrying my crutches.

Truth is I still need them for emergencies. So it may only be a little bit of snow, but I’m snowed in.

On the other hand, the angry river has quietened down. By the time the snow melts, the flood waters should be that bit slower.


Lance Armstrong has made his “confession” and as far as I can see is asking for a “Truth and Reconciliation commission”. This is what happened in South Africa after the Apartheid regime fell; “people confessed” and their crimes were excused. Very convenient. In that situation only one side had done anything wrong – so they all got off.

Right now Lance Armstrong needs to answer to the Federal doping agencies, the sport, the sponsors, his fellow members of the peloton and above all the fans – those are the people who lined the road to watch the races go past.

I don’t think we are in a forgiving sort of mood.

These days, saying sorry comes very easy. So does getting away with it.

 

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

No comments:

Post a Comment