Saturday 19 August 2017

B.O.H.I.C.A.!

Fighting cancer is a bit like being at war, except that you know that in the end you are going to lose.

So I have found I have gained some understanding of soldiers humour, which is generally fairly dark.

No more so than the humour of the U.S. Army in the second world war. After all, it gave us Joseph Heller's 'Catch 22', an extremely funny book.

The U.S. Army is notorious for its fondness for bureaucracy and acronyms (using initials instead of phrases) often to the point of absurdity.

So it should be no surprise that there are any number of slang versions.

S.N.A.F.U must be known by everybody;

Situation Normal All F***** Up.

But that doesn't quite capture the urgency of wartime.

So, how about T.A.R.F.U. ?

Things Are Really F***** Up.

However even that doesn't quite convey the frustration and anguish of dealing with war as well as coping with Officers as;

F.U.B.A.R.

which stands for; F***** Up Beyond All Recognition. 

But my all time favourite (and most relevant to my situation) is B.O.H.I.C.A.

Which says it all.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

1 comment: