Thursday 26 October 2017

I made it.

I got through my second tough day but it wasn't easy. I woke up at 0200 am and couldn't sleep. In the end I got up at 0500am to sleep in my chair - It turned out I didn't get much!

I was able to stop taking morphine long enough to ensure that there was none left in my system, because I was going to be driving.

I also had time to slowly get dressed and get my boots on, all of which really hurts and is very tiring.

My normal painkillers are due at 0600am, although I normally put off taking them for a while. Today I put off the painkillers altogether.


Robyn brought me breakfast and I had a rest, then I took the painkillers four hours late and we left at 1000am.

I had to drive to Hammersmith, I haven't driven for a week or two. But the pain was reduced and the traffic was light. We floated into town.

Unfortunately, I couldn't park close to the hospital, it was about a three hundred yard walk. Oh dear me, had I slowed down! At the Pelican Crossing I can no longer get across in the time the traffic lights are red - I just have to set out like a snail and hope for the best.

We were early and I was able to get to the pharmacy to collect a prescription that they didn't have for me last month.

It worked out fine.

Then I had a go at the lifts, which are slow and overcrowded and made it to the 6th floor. Unfortunately, I'd been hoping for a wait so I could get some sleep and recover - they were ready for us as soon as we got there.

I had my infusion and then I had to go back to the waiting room for a sleep and a coffee before we set off again.

Now I was really hurting, the painkillers had long worn off but it was too early to take any more. My walking had slowed down to a sloth filmed in extreme slow motion. Got to the car and eased myself back in.

I got us back home but hurt a rib in the process - I think it's just a bruise even if it feels much worse.

We got home and I could barely get myself over the front doorstep.

I slept all afternoon and felt just as bad in the evening as I had when I got back.

But I made it. Tomorrow I've got to get to the doctors, then Monday it's back up to Hammersmith.

I made it.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment