Tuesday 10 October 2017

Loss.

I'm mourning the death of a whole ecosystem - potentially a site of special scientific interest.



Robyn washed my car!

My car (known as 'The Pimple') is now nearly 12 years old and has never been washed. Usually, when it rains I wipe the dirt off with an old cloth and it looks as good as new.

Of course, I'm too ill to do that now - it's been over a year.

At the beginning of last year I did a Blog about the ecosystem growing on my car, possibly in the hope that someone (like UNESCO or WWF) might take an interest.

http://helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/my-site-of-special-scientific-interest.html?m=0

Since then, the organic material that covers my car has given it what some might describe as a rich patina, the kind of surface that would take centuries to build up in the rainforest or the Russian Steppes. 



Sadly, no one ever did take an interest in preserving this unique ecosystem and now the rare mosses and lichens that once called my car home are lost forever.



I asked Robyn to do a guest Blog for me - I was just too distraught.



I Washed The Car!  The Ordeal.


Since I’ve known Neil he has never washed his car A.K.A. The Pimple. Sometimes when we were out and it was raining he would wipe the car off with rags – which I found very embarrassing. You may have seen in an old blog post that Neil had moss and lichen growing on the car that he was very proud of.  He’s also very proud of the various species of spiders that reside in and on the car. I saw them on our first date, I told Neil “There’s a spider in your car” and he responded, “Its fine! It will eat the flies.” I told him when I was taking driving lessons that the first thing I was going to do once I passed the test was take the car to a car wash.
 
 

Well, I passed my test almost a month ago and I hadn’t done it. I’m still a bit scared of driving his car. My driving instructor’s car was so easy and lovely to drive, I could drive it the way she was teaching me. But The Pimple is temperamental, if I change down a gear it pretty much stops, and it wants to be changed up way too early so the car makes a lot of noise when I’m driving it, which I don’t like.

Anyway, I hated being out (I try to drive twice a week) with the car so dirty so this morning I said “Why don’t I take the car for a wash?” and surprisingly Neil was alright with it. I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Shirley the neighbor had her car washed last month for her vacation, it cost £30! I knew that would never do. I also knew that as dirty as it was if I took it to one of those £5 hand car washes they would charge extra. So I opted for the self-wash stall at the gas station of our Tesco.

So I drove to the Tesco gas station and pulled in to one of the two stalls; the other was in use. I looked to see how much it was and what type of payment it took and of course it only took change. Neil used to keep a stash of change in the car for parking on our outings but he had taken it into the house so I had to drive out of the gas station and go to the Tesco. Fortunately I had something to pick up so I took £10 out of the ATM and purchased the item with the cash so I’d have change. Unfortunately I was given a £5 note change, so I drove back to the gas station and pulled into the car wash stall, then I walked around to the gas station and asked the attendant for change for the car wash.

I returned to the car wash stall and got out to take pictures of The Pimple before the wash, then I got myself ready. I inserted a coin and nothing happened; the coin just dropped out. I tried other coins since we’ve recently updated our coins, but the machine would not accept old or new coins. Luckily the man in the other stall pulled out so I drove around again (third time is the charm); driving out of the gas station, around a mini roundabout back to the entrance of the gas station praying the whole time that no one would pull into the other stall before I returned.

Someone was there, but he just got out and threw a trash bag into the trash can and drove off. Thank God! So I got out and put the change into the machine and started washing. I didn’t do it in the order on the screen because the car was so dirty. I rinsed, washed (hot water with a brush), rinsed again so I could see what was left and then washed again.
 

During all this washing a man pulled into the other stall (the one I’d been in that didn’t work). When he got out of his car I told him that I couldn’t get the machine to work but he said “I’ll give it a try anyway” (men!). A few moments later he got back into his car and pulled out of the stall and a few minutes after that he pulled behind me. I still had 6 of the 22 minutes I’d purchased and I wasn’t going to cut my wash short.

In the end the waiting car left me flustered, and I also thought I’ll be nice and leave him a minute. So after another rinse, wax and final rinse I drove away (leaving him a minute of my time). Then I pulled into the Tesco parking lot to take a few pictures because there isn’t really enough room to do it in our driveway. I have to say I’m very pleased with myself and The Pimple doesn’t look so bad when she’s had a wash.

 

I did promise Neil that I wouldn’t kill the moss and lichen growing on the car. It wasn’t till I was washing it that I realized just how much there was on the car. I know I left it on the rear passenger side window and on a knob on the back, but other than those two places I think it’s all gone.

The Pimple is a lot cleaner than she was at least on the outside but she’s not spotless. Maybe if I make this a regular thing I can get her looking great. Maybe next time I’ll take her to get an inside clean to get rid of all the spiders. But I’m not doing that myself!


Robyn G. May

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment