Tuesday 11 December 2012

Give us the money!



Last night I spent the evening with some brothers and sisters in struggle – a nice evening; mince pies and good craiq into the night. Then I took in the second half of jazz at the Red Lion in Isleworth. I was too late arriving to give them credits but it was thoughtful, edgy stuff.

A good day, golden times. Today I’m paying for it and feeling sorry for myself. If there’s a doctor out there nodding and saying “warned you”, s/he isn’t mine. This is why they kept me going. It was a day when I did more good than harm.

So, I’m wearing my sensible hat, that’s the one I stole from a passing accountant, as opposed to the normal one (£3-99 from Sports Direct) which makes me look a bit like Buster Bloodvessel.

I’m looking at the Ashford and St Peters NHS Hospital trust accounts for 2011/12 ; an income of £227 million and a surplus of £ONE MILLION. That’s right, £ONE MILLION! And all I want is a measly £800,000 for 6 more consultants in A and E.

 As there’s money in the pot, how about a bonus for the lowest paid staff in the hospital? By my calculation, about £100,000 would cover a £200 bonus for the nurses and ancillary workers, with change to spare for a Christmas card.

Because there is a gulf between the doctors and the lowest paid, who are struggling with a wage freeze on wages that are already low.  If we aren’t careful, demoralisation and unhappiness  can turn into not caring.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Neil Harris
 
 
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment