Monday 31 December 2012

Review of 2012


It’s New Year’s Eve and I’m sat in Café Nero in Egham which is where it all began (sort of).

On the 4th December I was sat here noodling on the net, nursing a coffee and listening to the jazz. I opened up a blog account and then when I went home put in the first entry.

Seems a long time ago.

Didn’t have a clue but since then I’ve learnt how to use a computer better, discovered fonts (try webdings and wingdings, go on-you have them too), had a load of fun, met a lot of people and got my message out to a fairly select band. Lots more to do. More people to speak to.

I finally got the report into my misdiagnosis but only because I registered a complaint with the Care Quality Commission. They told me they would contact St. Peter’s and within 2 days I had a phone call, within a week I had the report.

I wrote a lengthy reply which has not been acknowledged or answered – I’m used to that by now.

To my horror I discovered that it was a consultant who failed to notice that I had a dislocated fracture and that initially that very same consultant was appointed to investigate my complaint. Later another consultant from A and E took over the investigation. Not surprisingly, he decided that other than a “period of reflection” and some training, no action needed to be taken.

The hospital delayed 5 weeks in sending me the report, which meant its recommendations had been put into effect before I saw it and so I could have no influence on them.

Although I had tried to have an input into the investigation – I was not contacted.

Meanwhile someone who couldn’t spot a broken ankle on an X-ray is dealing with really serious stuff every day.

Well, if you think I’m going away, think again.

If you think I will rest while anyone else is treated in the same way that I was, think again.

2012 has been a really tough year, the worst ever but I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

Roll on 2013, a fighting year for me!

I hope all of you have a Happy New Year!

 

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

No comments:

Post a Comment