Tuesday 9 April 2013

The weather broke.


This weekend, for the first time this year, the weather broke. It was warm and sunny. I can’t say that spring was in the air when I went out – there were some wild flowers but the buds still weren’t properly out and everything was bleak and bare, much later than it should be.

It’s been almost a year since I had a look at the ancient Yew tree (1500 to 2000 years old, they say. I’d say about 1000). It’s not looking so well, which makes two of us. It’s starting to decay in the centre and you can now see right through it, past some interesting shapes and patterns. I need a camera to show you. However, that’s part of being an ancient Yew, they usually grow on unless someone does something to it.

I did see a bank of violets enjoying the sun and two swans on a field, having a chat. A couple of years ago a pair of swans had a nest nearby at the edge of the pond, but their signet didn’t survive. I wondered if they’d come back, if so I hope they try again.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of foxes around as well as some local youths who like to torment swans. I’ll have to decide whether to feed them and risk taking away their fear of people, or just to leave them to their own fate.

It’s definitely time this mighty media organisation got itself a camera.

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)
Home:    helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment