Friday 5 June 2015

The Crimson Tie.




So where did I see this fine pair?

On Thursday we took a long trip out to 'The Horns' at Watford. Now one of the last few great music venues, it has a fine sound system and a tradition of good bands.

We were there to see 'Stanley Dee', an amazing 11 piece band that just plays 'Steely Dan'.

And, given that my musical origins are in Punk and Robyn's are in Smooth Jazz and Heavy Metal.......it shouldn't surprise anyone that we meet i9n the middle and both like 'Steely Dan'.

I'm not too mobile yet and the pub was packed.

As I could only take photo's of about 40% of the band (as usual - there are 11 of them) here's their logo which has them all.


Steely Dan wrote about the underbelly of America but did so with beautiful, stolen Jazz riffs that meant their stuff got mainstream airtime.

You may not know it but you know Steely Dan.

They mixed middle of the road sounds with provocative subjects; it was a kind of punk....honestly it was!



'Stanley Dee' is the only tribute band I would ever go to see.

They have a great brass section;


 
 
 
 
Great guitarist;



And, if only you could see them, four fine vocalists, a drummer, bass and keyboards player. For all I know they may still be recruiting.
 
They are a lot of fun;
 
 











And I was wearing my special "Steely Dan" tie - I was once at a Stanley Dee gig and someone came up to me very knowingly, pointed to my red tie in a conspiratorial way whispered to me; "Crimson Tie, heh?" and walked off.

He'd misheard the lyrics to 'Deacon Blues'
   
I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

It's quite normal to get the lyrics wrong - everybody does.

But now I always wear a red tie, all the same.

I was pretty much shattered after about three hours on my feet - but I made it.

I'm definitely back!

Neil Harris

(a don't stop till you drop production)

Home:  helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com

Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment