Wednesday 1 March 2017

Racin' in the Streets.

Well, somehow I made it to the first Radiotherapy session and for the first time I needed help getting on and off the 'bed'.

Which is depressing, although I was able to make it there and back which was quite an achievement.

Dr Feelgood was there and we agreed I'd broken another vertebrae and there wasn't much to be done about it.

Dr Feelgood was there to push the big switch - or at least that's how I imagine it because I have a space age green plastic mask that was moulded to my face and it clamps me down so that I can't move until it's over. I can't see anything but she was there to check out  the measurements.

I'm hoping to get to keep it afterwards, so I can put it on the Blog.

I'm feeling quite bad at the moment; there are three days left of the chemotherapy, four days left of Radiotherapy and it's a mountain to climb.

This morning I was listening to music and played 'Racing in the Streets' by Bruce Springsteen on my headphones - I'm not a great fan of 'The Boss', but every now and again he wrote some great songs. 'The Streets of Philadelphia' is one.

I got upset as I listened to it (as I always do) and Robyn saw me and I couldn't explain why.

On the face of it it's just about kids in America racing cars in the streets;

"Tonight, tonight the strip's just rightI want to blow 'em off in my first heat
Summer's here and the time is right
For racin' in the street"


.....but of course it isn't about that at all, although it does bring back memories of long past summer evenings.

This is what it's about;

"Some guys they just give up living And start dying little by little, piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
And go racing in the street."


Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com

 

1 comment: