Thursday 25 December 2014

Satellite of Love.









 
 
 
                                   Happy Christmas!
 
My Christmas Eve - what a nightmare.
 
On the way to see my poor Mum in hospital I staggered into Tesco's and got presents -  never left things that late.
 
I spent the day with my Mum, who is gravely ill.
 
Collapsed at home.
 
Put up decorations and wrapped presents late into the night.
 
I also discovered 'egg nog', which I've learnt two things about;
 
a) Culturally this is an essential part of an American Christmas.
 
b) tastes better with brandy.
 
Best of all, at 5 15pm Robyn and me struggled out into a cold, clear Christmas Eve to watch out for the International Space Station which was due to pass over Britain.
 
At 5 22 pm, we couldn't believe it - first we saw what looked like a star, low in the west. then as it came overhead in a great arc we were debating whether it was a high flying plane - it wasn't.
 
It was so fast and yet it was there for ages because it was going such a distance; 17000 miles an hour.
 
I've seen the flares from satellites before but nothing like this.
 
It was amazing!
 
I didn't feel like going out again at 7pm but it was due back before it's orbit took it away from us.
 
Around the world in an hour and 40 minutes?!
 
Amazing.
 
Happy Christmas to everyone who reads this Blog - thank you.
 
Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment