Thursday 27 October 2016

Dr Strange.

I've just had a really lousy week - in agony from Thursday night onwards. I was having difficulty walking and beginning to wonder whether I was ever going to walk anywhere again.

Seriously.

By Tuesday things started to get slowly better - in the afternoon I walked to the post box on my own although it was slow and painful and I was using two sticks.

In the evening I drove into Slough so that we could see 'Dr Strange' - as I wrote before I'd been fascinated with this Marvel Comic character when I was a kid in the 1960's, as you can see here;

http://helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/strange-tales.html

I really didn't want to miss this and we even saw it on the big screen.


I should say that I don't like CGI normally, I gripe about it a lot. Dr Strange was always going to be full of computer generated effects, so it was going to have to work hard for me.

Dr Steven Strange is a gifted, arrogant, irritating neurosurgeon; basically a really annoying know-it-all.

He's also not very good at interpersonal skills.

In the end, however, he ends up crashing his super car and wrecking his hands for ever. No more complex surgery for him.

Devastated, he looks for a cure and after the most that advanced medical science can offer has failed, he explores the world of alternative therapies - a journey that takes him to Nepal and a secretive magic sect.

Much more than that I can't really say except that it was a great moment when he was united with his cloak and he ended up saving the world in a very amusing way.

Along the trail there are more than a few laughs and a fine performance by Tilda Swinton as 'The Ancient One'.

Benedict Cumberbatch does OK as the Doctor who has to learn from scratch how to pass through different dimensions and multiple universes to fight evil.

Oh, and there was a funny librarian - that's a first. And for the first time the CGI actually added something to the film.

I must admit that I tried and failed to get a Dr Strange poster from the cinema but I was far too mature and serious to actually buy a Doctor Strange magic drinks glass myself - that would have been very childish indeed.

Although as we were leaving I found one that someone had discarded. It would have been untidy to just leave it lying there outside the cinema.


It's luminous and very mystical.

Look, it's glowing!


Eerie.

Neil Harris
(a don't stop till you drop production)
Home: helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact me: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment