Wednesday 22 January 2014

Needle Exchange


I must admit I was behaving badly yesterday on my journey to and from Charing Cross Hospital. This is my Sharps bin;

 
 

It’s for storing used needles and when I go up to hospital to get another batch of drugs I take the full bin with me for disposal, before I pick up a new one.

I always resist the idea that I should hide it away as though it’s something to be ashamed of – I don’t have anything to be ashamed of. So on the train it’s there in full view; big and bright and yellow.

Because of the hospital you pass a few staff – they look at you, quite honestly.
But otherwise it's looks of horror. There are people who look away in embarrassment. There are people who are just plain scared.

I’m forcing people to confront their prejudices.

Or perhaps I'm just scaring people on the Underground. But what is there to be scared about?

 

NeedlelExchange
 

Neil Harris

(a don’t stop till you drop production)

Home:  helpmesortoutstpeters.blogspot.com
Contact: neilwithpromisestokeep@gmail.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment